LORI, WE MISS YOU!


You beat cancer by how you love, why you live,
and the manner in which you live.

- Stuart Scott



A long year

It has been one long year since my dear friend Lori left us. For a long time afterwards, I found it difficult to deal with the loss and turned to art therapy to help me cope. While working on the pieces in my studio, I cried a lot, and wondered a lot. Why did the cancer return when she had been in remission so long? Why didn’t the treatments work a second time? Will this pain subside? I even wondered if Lori was watching us.

Now

A year later, I don’t sob now, the tears just roll slowly down my cheeks. And it doesn’t happen every day, just at times, like now when I’m writing this. I miss her. We all do. I miss her loud, throaty laugh, and the way she would say, “Hi, honey,” when she saw me. I miss her hugs and the sparkle in her eyes. She was beautiful with hair, without hair, and with very short, growing back from chemo, hair. Her motto became “Live the dash” and she did. She jumped out of an airplane and crossed that off her bucket list. She squeezed into a tiny photo booth at the Franklin Institute with 4 of us and we laughed and laughed. And she danced at weddings and to Uptown Funk in the school talent show. 

Are you?

The questions I know Lori would ask you are, “Are you living your dash? Are you telling the people you love that you love them? Are you stopping and looking at the sunsets and listening to the birds, and feeling the warm sunshine shining on you?”

Well, are you? I hope so, because all we really have is now. Take advantage of every now you have. Please.


I lied, I’m sobbing.

The ART of Lori


 



 

 


Yes, she was beautiful, wasn't she? I hope you’ve enjoyed this post and will join me here every Friday for more blog posts and on Facebook and Instagram.

 Art in the Studio makes every day a good day. 
 Thanks for spending time with ArtEveryDayStudio! 







Comments

Post a Comment