$#*& Happens, But It's a Great Day After All


Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.
The best is yet to come.
- Zig Ziglar


$#*& Happens

It’s no secret that 2019 was a very challenging year for me. And by that I mean, I had to learn "$#*& happens" that I have no control over; and I can either go crazy asking “WHY!!!!????” or I can just breathe and try to figure out the lesson I’m supposed to learn from it all.

Case in point, I entered a “juried art show” last November. That was a big deal to me, because “juried” meant that my art had to be shared ahead of time and be “accepted” or “chosen” which in turn made me feel that my art is special.

I had visions of people flocking to my booth to "oooh" and "aaah" over my art, and using my new Square with the purchases people would make, but that didn’t happen. It turned out to be more of a craft show than an art show and people didn't buy much from me, which was a bummer. 

However, remember I said I needed to learn a lesson (or two) when things don’t go as planned by me…?

Lesson One 

First and absolutely the most important thing is I’m so grateful to have so many people in my life that will go out of their way to help make my dream a reality.

BEFORE

SETTING UP
My husband, head of my R & D dept., made some bangin’ display panels that were lightweight, yet sturdy; portable to fit in my car; and super easy to assemble and disassemble.

CHECK OUT THOSE DISPLAY BOARDS IN THE BACK
My very favorite graphic designer in THE. WHOLE. WORLD., my daughter, designed the stencils used to make my signage and the front of the aprons I was selling.

CHECK OUT THE SIGNAGE
My mom, seamstress extraordinaire, redesigned the straps on the aprons which originally were one size fits all, but now are comfortable for anyone to wear.

Bill, my custom embroiderer and friend - https://www.bills-sportstop.com, zipped those designs onto the aprons with his fancy machines. They look soooooo sweet! (And his wife Diana, well, she’s just so sweet.)

SELFIE :-)
Cheryl my dear friend, along with her hubby and granddaughter, drove 2 hours there and 2 hours back just to support me!

And finally, Susan, my very helpful friend lugged tons of stuff, helped assemble and disassemble the booth, photographed before and after set-up shots, and chatted with potential customers to try to draw them in.

Lesson two

As we were lugging everything out to the car at the end of the show, I met a very successful artist in the gallery showroom located in the same building. She and I chatted for a few minutes, which was very exciting for me. Then I spoke with the gallery owner who graciously offered to schedule 20 minutes to look at my “portfolio” to discuss pros and cons she saw in my art. 

And boom, it came to me that maybe, probably, most likely that was the reason for me being in that place and time – not to sell my art, but to meet not only that artist, but that gallery owner who could offer me tips and pointers to propel my art further. Hmmm, one of those "beautiful destinations" Mr. Ziglar was referring to in the quote above. So even though Susan and I left before the sun came up and got home well after the sun had gone down, it was a great day after all. 


Hope 2020 is treating you well so far. Stay positive people!! 

Comments