UBS: UGLY BAG SYNDROME

 ADVICE FROM A TREE:
 Stand tall and proud.
 Go out on a limb.
 Remember your roots.
 Drink plenty of water.
 Be content with your natural beauty and enjoy the view.

                     - Ilan Shamir  

                                            
 

UBS

During the holidays, I was hit with UBS. It’s not the first time, and it won’t be the last. It happens throughout the year. Ok, admit it, you had a case of UBS this season also, didn’t you? What? You don’t know what that is? Sure you do – UBS: Ugly Bag Syndrome. Beautiful gift, ugly bag.

Some people would say to just throw the UB away. But, being a child growing up in the 70s, and being there for the first Earth Day, it is ingrained in me to recycle and repurpose, and I really do feel guilty throwing things away that could be used again. In the 70s we weren’t hit with UBS, because those bags hadn’t been invented.

I do like the bags, and think they’re a great invention from an ecological standpoint because they can be used over and over, gift after gift. It’s just that some of them, let’s face it, are ugly! As I was cleaning the Studio, I came across an ugly bag and decided to transform this little ugly duckling into something eye-catching. Hope you like it.

THE ART

Note: I am a Design Team member for The Crafter's Workshop; however, even though I use and love their products, all opinions are solely my own.

First thing to do was give the UB a coat of gesso and then add some dictionary page scraps.


Next came a coat of my favorite turquoise and lime green color scheme.


Using black and TCW’s Geometric Art Layers stencil, I stenciled all over the bag. And then added a layer of white using TCW’s Believe Script stencil.


To finish, I added some of Rebekah Meier’s Art Tape to the bag which I had stenciled with TCW’s Julie’s Words stencil and also TCW’s Trendy Images stencil.

  

Now I’m ready to gift in style!

My quote is a nod to some of my favorite things – trees. I think about all the trees at our mercy, cut down to make paper products, and then we just throw things away so easily. I hope you recycle; after all, a tree gave its life; and if you don’t, maybe you’ll start after reading this today. Stand tall and enjoy the view, friends. I hope you’ve enjoyed this post and will join me here every Friday for more blog posts and on Facebook and Instagram.

 Art in the Studio makes every day a good day. 
 Thanks for spending time with ArtEveryDayStudio! 

Comments