GOING GREEN, EFFICIENCY GENIUS-NESS, AND LANE-SPLITTING

 Sometimes the questions are complicated, 
but the answers are simple.

 - Dr. Seuss 


Green and Efficiency Genius-ness

When I was in Cali recently, 3 things struck me. First, California’s got the right idea when it comes to going green when shopping. The state passed a law that makes customers pay for plastic shopping bags in grocery stores and stores like Walmart and Target; and as a result, people are bringing their own bags in all shapes and sizes to carry home their purchases. Sometimes you’ll see people walking out of the store with merchandise in their arms because they didn’t bring a bag and didn’t want to pay for one. Too funny. And while I’m on the subject of stores, I was enthralled with the efficiency of WINCO’s cart system. (Too much time on my hands, I know.) Their cart returns are side-by-side but one side is closed and the other is open. For example, if I’m returning my cart, I can only put it in the right side because the left is blocked off by a bar. The reason for this is efficiency genius-ness in my opinion. Their employees use an automated cart retriever which pushes through each return center and travels across the lane to the next, through that and across the lane, until it goes across the whole parking lot. It then turns around, pushing a line of carts, and does the same thing getting the sides that it didn’t get before. So simple for the employees. We need that in Delaware.

Lane-Splitting

One thing I did see that scared me is something called “lane splitting” which is legal, but why, I have no idea. It allows motorcycles to ride between cars in lanes. You’re saying, “What???!!” You’ve got to see it to believe it. Imagine driving on a 4 lane highway at 70+ mph and a motorcycle goes speeding between you and the car beside you! The most dangerous case of lane splitting that I saw was 2 lanes merging together onto a freeway. The cars were going about 35 mph, but turning right, and a motorcycle ran right up the middle of them to get onto the freeway first. I couldn’t believe the stupid, not to mention dangerous, behavior. We don’t need that in Delaware.

The Art

Here’s some art that is colorful and fun. I used my Gel Press plate, TCW stencils, unconventional Christmas colors, and glitter (always fun to use!) to turn an unwanted calendar into Christmas cards and tags.

(Note: I am a Design Team member for The Crafter's Workshop; however, even though I use and love their products, all opinions are solely my own.)



I may have some exciting news to share next week. Keep your fingers crossed for me! I hope you’ve enjoyed this post and will join me here every Friday for more blog posts and on Facebook and Instagram.

 Art in the Studio makes every day a good day. 
 Thanks for spending time with ArtEveryDayStudio! 

Comments