CARD CATALOG

 The secret to getting ahead is getting started. 
 - Mark Twain 


 Finally 

Finally, finally, FINALLY, The Studio is organized and back in business after being out of commission, for the most part, for almost the whole month of June. As you know, if you read my blog, I acquired a new card catalog, my second, and it needed some work. It had been stored in the garage of a friend, and was dusty and needed to be cleaned and then retrofitted for use as storage for art supplies.

Both of the card catalogs that I have have 60 drawers. Where my first card catalog measured 70 ½” x 19 ½” x 41”, this second one measures 40 ½” x 17” x 60”, has a separate base to stand on, and was much easier to maneuver than the first. I had originally wanted to refinish the whole thing and paint it black, polish the hardware and call it done; however, when I read about what I’d need to do to accomplish that, (it was varnished), I decided to refinish only the top. Since the base already has a black strip, the black top now looks like it was made that way and I am very happy with how it looks. I may down the road paint the 3 sliding shelves black, but that will need to wait till I have a free minute (let me check my calendar. . . 2 years from now????).

To retrofit it, the 4 screws holding each brass plate on the front of the drawer had to be removed (4 x 60 = 240) and polished; the metal slider and bar inside the drawer had to be removed (thanks Jeffrey!); and a piece of luan for each drawer was cut to be inserted where those had been (thanks Pop!) to cover the gap. Then the screws and plates (4 x 60 = 240) were then rescrewed to the drawers (thanks Jeffrey!) and labels inserted. I bought small plastic containers to fit inside the drawers to hold all the stuff (technical art term for “needed supplies”). I had to rearrange some plastic drawer containers (you know, ones made by Sterlite) to make room for the new cabinet. It took 3 days to binge and purge The Studio, but it’s done. Now the supplies I use the most,(stencils, paint, stamps, ink pads) are at my fingertips either beside or in back of me. So satisfying to be organized! Take a look.

 The Cabinet 

                        
                                   


                         

                                
How do you organize your supplies? I hope you’ve enjoyed this post and will join me every Tuesday and Friday for more blog posts at arteverydaystudio.blogspot.com and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Arteverydaystudio-1850194768568547/.

 Art in the Studio makes every day a good day. 
 Thanks for spending time with ArtEveryDayStudio! 


Comments