CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION

 Let go of the people who dull your shine,
 poison your spirit, and bring you drama.
 Cancel your subscription to their issues.
 - Steve Maraboli 


 Shine bright! 

I love this quote from @katy_pryde's IG feed!! Just think how happy you could be if you just follow that advice!! Thankfully, I don’t have “THOSE PEOPLE” around me because all my peeps are super supportive of me, my art, and my new endeavor (#TCWdesignteam!!). Shine bright, people!

Yesterday the ART Chicas, Melissa Wills and Melissa Cooper, and myself, had our monthly meeting at my house. Since it was my turn to host, I was in charge of the project and because I’ve been so infatuated with “found poetry” I shared 20 examples and then let them loose in The Studio. To me, found poetry has got to be the easiest form of poetry to “write”. That’s because, you don’t have to write anything . . . just “find” it. “Where?” you ask. In books, magazines, even old encyclopedias(!), any type of printed material. It is amazing how your “poem” can be so profound, but yet the page you got it from could have gone in such a totally different direction.

Search found poetry on Google and you’ll get thousands of examples and such inspiration for your art. I also love the work of artist Karen Gaunt. She has a 100 day project of Found Poems for 2017 going on – check her out.

Below are some examples of my art and from the other ART Chicas too all featuring Found Poems! Enjoy.

Note: I am a Design Team member for The Crafter's Workshop; however, even though I use and love their products, all opinions are solely my own.

 The Art 

For my first piece, I selected a page from an old book, and cut around the words and phrases I wanted. It was a little challenging but you can do it if you mark lightly with pencil the lines you want to use to connect to the margins of the page. It says, “Realization came. ‘Tomorrow,’ she thought. She shouldn’t have worried. In the great quiet, footsteps of the silence. A lullaby.”
(The Crafter's Workshop [TCW] stencils used: TCW454 Specimens, TCW470 Mini Geometric Art Layers, TCW541 Mini Believe Script, TCW705 Mini Star and Flower)


The second piece is a very easy way to “write” your poem. Find the words you want to use and black out the rest with a black Sharpie marker! It says, “It was a secret. Had been a secret. She could carry the secret just as I had. And now she knew something about secrets that she hadn’t known before.”
(TCW stencils used: TCW405 Mini 4 Feathers)

Third, I started with the magazine photo and looked for the poem to fit. Once I’d found it, I  drew a mirror and used Gelatos to color it. It says, “I put down the mirror. I never really look past my eyes. Windows of the soul, you know. Beautiful eyes. ‘Do you spend much time looking in mirrors?’ ‘Some days I do. Some days I don’t.’” I love how it isn’t necessary to actually cut the mirror out of the rest of the page because the mirror is so prominent that you don’t even notice the rest of the book page that it’s on.
My last piece is from an old encyclopedia. It just shows that found poetry is everywhere, all you have to do is be on the look-out for it. I used the black-out method again for the poem about Picasso’s Three Musicians painting. It says, "Many painters begin imagining a realistic picture of an object. Creating a pleasing or exciting design. Taking away details. Arrange lines and color. Picasso's musicians. Many persons feel it creates beautiful designs, expressing emotions."
(TCW stencils used: TCW202 Mini Harlequin, TCW579 Mini Sheet Music, TCW681 Mini Bauhaus)
And last, but certainly not least... My ART Chicas' work, First up is Melissa Wills.
And then, Melissa Cooper

 Finally 

First, let me know how you feel about found poetry and if you use it in your art or journal. Second, I think I’ve used more “air quotes” in this post than any other, too funny. And third, I’m going to start posting on Friday only. Two posts each week are a lot and I thought I would cut back since I will also be posting to The Crafter’s Workshop blog (#TCWdesignteam!!) twice a month starting in August. Stay cool and make art, people!! And cancel any subscriptions that you need to! I hope you’ve enjoyed this post and will join me every Friday for more blog posts at arteverydaystudio.blogspot.com and on Facebook and Instagram.




 Art in the Studio makes every day a good day. 
 Thanks for spending time with ArtEveryDayStudio! 

Comments