ARTIST DREAMS


 Never give up on what you really want to do. 
 The person with big dreams is more powerful 
 than one with all the facts. - Albert Einstein 

 IKEA 

It all began with a trip to IKEA. 
My sister-in-law Claudia and I were in the glassware section. I had seen some glasses that I wanted and Claudia went to find a carrier to keep them from getting broken. That was how it all began, but the rest of the story really got started once I got home. Because I have trouble throwing anything away that may turn into an art project, the glass carrier went to The Studio to await its transformation. Not long after it had arrived, I decided to go all mixed media on it and when I got finished, I posted it on Instagram.

It just so happened that at the same time, Julie Fei-Fan Balzer was asking for guest posters for her blog. So I decided to submit a technique idea using two of my other pieces of artwork. Little did I know that that glass carrier was going to play a big part. My journey as a mixed-media artist had really and truly started when I posted that altered glass carrier, because Julie’s assistant replied to my email saying my suggestions were nice, but they had already been posted earlier…but, they were interested in my altered glass carrier. WHAT??!! For real?? Well, I replied that yes, I could post how I had done it. And in November, Patty Eskridge was a guest poster on the famous Julie Fei-Fan Balzer’s blog! Wake me up, cause I must be dreaming!!

 Big Dreams 

Fast forward to June 1, 2017 and The Crafter’s Workshop Design Team Call was posted and I was so ready to apply! I submitted my online application and waited and waited, and on June 28th, Cheryl Boglioli emailed me to tell me I had been chosen. I could hardly read the email, I was sooooo excited!!!

You see, I did have big dreams and they were so powerful. Being a mixed media artist/blogger was what I really wanted to do. I was so focused on that dream I lived it daily. When people asked me what I was doing now that I had retired, I told them I was a mixed media artist/blogger. (“And what it that really?” was the question I usually got.) I listed mixed media artist/blogger as my occupation on my gym membership and my tax returns. I rebranded myself and became ArtEveryDayStudio everywhere on social media because of my dream. And here we are today.

Now, the question is:
What is YOUR powerful dream??? Figure it out, define what it looks like, map out how you’re going to get there, and - NEVER give up; because, you CAN get there if you really want to. Look at me! ;-)


Note: The Crafter's Workshop provided me with some product to create this project. However, the opinions I share are solely my own.

 The Art 

In my large Dylusions journal, I painted medium magenta and bright aqua green (Liquitex Basics) on the page. Next, I stenciled Mini Cursive (discontinued stencil, sorry) in black and Mini Geometric Art Layers in bright aqua green (both by The Crafter’s Workshop [TCW]).

Then, using the negative stencil of Casey & Penlope (TCW), I stenciled a silhouette in mars black (Liquitex Basics). (I am never sure who is Casey & who is Penelope in that stencil!!!!) After I used the negative, I realized the inside of her arms weren’t visible so I then used the positive of the same stencil to paint pink back onto the page and I liked that. I love how both the positive and the negative are included in those stencils, because you’re really getting 4 stencils!

I had leftover pink paint, and since I hate to waste it, I added the brush marks at the top and bottom of the page. Next, I journaled around the outside of the stencil with a black EnerGel pen (I love these because they write so darkly), and outlined the inside with a white uni-ball Signo pen (Love this one too!). Finally, I stenciled Mini Spotted (TCW) with bright aqua green, dried that, and added 2 Tim Holtz Chit Chat words which I thought were very appropriate.

Seriously people, listen to what Albert is saying above; after all, he was pretty smart. Figure out your dream and go get it!! I hope you’ve enjoyed this post and will join me every Tuesday and Friday for more blog posts at arteverydaystudio.blogspot.com and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Arteverydaystudio-1850194768568547/.

Art in the Studio makes every day a good day. 
Thanks for spending time with ArtEveryDayStudio!

Comments