PAINT NIGHT


 Happiness is the joy we feel 
 striving for our potential. 
 - Shaun Achor 

 Don’t get me wrong 

Don’t get me wrong. It’s not that I hate “Paint Nights”. You know, you go to dinner at a restaurant and then you paint a picture afterwards. Teaching art, attending an art class, painting – those are all wonderful things. It’s just the subjects of the Paint Nights. They just aren’t, how can I say this, substantial enough. All the Paint Night subjects are too easy, maybe that’s the word I want. And for that reason, I’ve avoided them, until last Wednesday night, that is.

On Wednesday, I attended my first Paint Night, which happened after a retirement dinner for 2 special friends. I knew the instructor and asked her if it was ok if I didn’t follow her instructions but worked and did my own thing; because in my opinion, paint and a canvas are like candy to a baby. She said that was ok and that’s what I did. We were given a blank 16” x 20” canvas, and 3 blobs of paint - dark blue paint, light yellow, and white. The project was supposed to be a dark blue sky, with green grass (by mixing blue and yellow), and then some flowers painted with all 3 colors.

 Abstract beauty 

I had made up my mind that I would try to paint in the style ala Kellee Wynne. I’m in love with her abstractness, delicate colors, and soft, blurry flowers. That night I only had the 3 colors to use, which I did, but when I got home I reworked the painting. Below you can see the result. I am quite happy with my painting and will be hanging it on the wall opposite The Studio door! Will I attend another paint night??? Probably not, unless it’s attached to a special event like this one was.

 The art 

I used the following Liquitex paints: prism violet, medium magenta, bright aqua green, cerulean blue hue, cadmium yellow medium hue, and cadmium orange hue. And the following Master’s Touch paints: purple, ocean green.

One of my favorite parts of my first Paint Night was sitting with my friends and singing to the music playing in the background. I hope you’ve enjoyed this post and will join me every Tuesday and Friday for more blog posts at arteverydaystudio.blogspot.com.



Art in the Studio makes every day a good day.
Thanks for spending time with ArtEveryDayStudio!

Comments