BUDDY


 No excuses. Solutions. No tomorrows. Today.

 No one else. Yourself. 

 - Patrick Coulbourne 




 Pogo Stick 

When he was little, my brother was always busy. He loved to ride his bike and play outside with his best friend Tim. He collected caterpillars and watched them change into butterflies in the homemade cages our dad made for him. He played with toy soldiers and matchbox cars; he loved to watch Looney Tunes cartoons; and to swim in a pool or at the beach.

I was probably about 13 when I remember my little brother impressing me for the very first time. Being 5 years younger than me, I considered him just a little kid. Anyway, I was upstairs in my bedroom and I heard him outside on his pogo stick. I looked out and he yelled to me. The conversation went something like this –

“Hey Patty, I can jump 100 times on my pogo stick without stopping.”
“You can NOT.”
“Yes, I can!”
“Prove it!”

And so he started jumping, and jumping, and jumping. And to my surprise, he DID jump 100 times without stopping. That was the FIRST time he impressed me.

 Nowadays 

Since that day, he’s impressed me, oh, about one million times more. He’s an inventor, a salesman, a leader, an athlete, and he can make me laugh harder than any comedian alive. When he needed to draw a plan for something, he taught himself Computer Aided Drafting (CAD). He bought a 3D printer, learned how to use it, and began making parts for his inventions. He’s a world traveler and yet he's not afraid to “trace the globe” while walking through WalMart. He's still 5 years younger than me, imagine that!, but I don't consider him a little kid anymore. Now, he’s my mentor, my encourager, and someone I love spending time with. I just wish I could spend more time with him.

Instead of my art, I wanted to share some photos of the two of us.

                            

                                   



Today, I’ll listen to Sabotage by The Beastie Boys in honor of my brother and smile as I look at these great pics. I hope you’ve enjoyed this post and will join me every Tuesday and Friday for more blog posts at arteverydaystudio.blogspot.com. Like me on Facebook

Art in the Studio makes every day a good day.
Thanks for spending time with ArtEveryDayStudio!

Comments