JOCKEY

 “Things are going to get in your way, but whatever you  do, never stop showing up.” 


 - Chris Van Etten, U.S. Marine vet 

 Get set 

When you walk in the Jockey store at the outlets, on the back wall you will see a giant photo of a crouched man, in a pair of jockey underwear, of course, getting ready to take off from the starting line. He is handsome, muscular, and looks very determined to win. He is oblivious to the fact that he is being watched; he is only focused on the race. I think that if the gun were to sound right now, he would beat everyone.

 SHOW UP  

Sometimes when I am in my studio, I feel like him. I am oblivious to the fact that the clock is ticking, the day is moving on. I am focused on my art, planning my day/week, writing my blog, or taking pictures. When I saw that quote, I just had to use it in a blog post. How powerful are those last four words – NEVER. STOP. SHOWING. UP. Keep going. Through the tough times, the disappointing times, the mistakes. SHOW UP. What I think is great about the quote is that it doesn’t say you have to solve all your problems, fix all your mistakes, or have the perfect life. SHOW UP. You can do it.

 How to: 

I didn't take step out photos of this layout, but I think you will still be able to understand how I did it. I began by taping the center and gessoing the pages. Then I applied washi tape (Michaels) in the four corners and painted matte medium over the tape to prevent it from coming up. 

I watered down some cobalt blue hue (Liquitex Basics) and applied to the perimeter over both pages. On the left and right sides, I sprayed each side with water (one at a time) and let it drip to the center. This is the same technique that I used when making WISH UPON A STAR, and you can see it here by scrolling down to the first picture.

Next I mixed cadmium red light hue (Liquitex Basics) with Light & Fluffy Modeling Paste (The Crafter’s Workshop). I used one of my favorite new stencils – TCW687s Mini Positivity (The Crafter’s Workshop) to apply the modeling paste in the diagonal corners and let it dry. I lightly stamped the triangles with a script stamp and some gray Staz-on, and also stenciled the orange humps and dots (what are those things called anyway??) in the corner with the cadmium red light hue (Liquitex Basics).


Next, I stenciled mars black (Liquitex Basics) in the other two diagonal corners.




I flicked blue paint splatters in the white space. After everything was dried, I outlined some of the blue splatters and all of the orange stenciling with a black uniball signo pen, and outlined the crosses and then crossed through them with a white pen.




The last thing I did was to stamp the quote with letter stamps and black Archival ink (Ranger) and boxed around the last four words with the black uniball signo pen.




By the way, Chris Van Etten, the Jockey model, is a double leg amputee. That said, I still think he will beat everyone and win the race! With his attitude, how can he lose? I hope you NEVER STOP SHOWING UP, that you’ve enjoyed this post, and will join me every Tuesday and Friday for more blog posts at arteverydaystudio.blogspot.com.
Art in the Studio makes every day a good day.
Thanks for spending time with ArtEveryDayStudio!

Comments